Monday, July 5, 2010

What is God up to this summer? (Continuation)

A BROKEN VESSEL by Linda Stevenson

You may break this earthen vessel
And set all the contents free;
Lord, do whatever you must do
Just to bless someone through me.

I will not gain if I stay whole
And just passively exist,
If selfish gain my whole contain,
That's of all my life consists.

I would rather, Lord, be shattered,
Crushed and spilled out just for Thee,
If others will find your healing
And encouragement through me.

Don't spare me pain to live in vain,
Miss the opportunity
To lift someone who has fallen,
Lord, A soul in need of Thee.

Now, You've made this earthen vessel;
I relinquish it to Thee.
Release the healing fragrance, Lord;
Bless a hurting soul through me.
The Lord has me in a place of brokenness this summer; Man, it hurts but I praise God for the struggles because through the struggles I see my need for him. I was an intern for Common Ground Montgomery last summer and I am also an intern this summer. Common Ground Montgomery is a non-profit ministry located on the Westside of Montgomery. Their aim and goal is to see children as well as their families transformed by the power of the Gospel. They are passionate about racial reconciliation and seeing healing and transformation in the urban community. They started an internship for college students to assists them in their efforts to love and preach the Good News to hurting children. This is the second year that Common Ground has hired and used college students to impact the lives of these children. I absolutely LOVE Common Ground!!!! Through their ministry, the Lord has used the precious lives of young girls and boys to draw me closer to him. I have a better understanding for God's love and grace because of them. We are reading a book entitled "Divided by Faith" which stresses the need for racial reconciliation and how we as Christians contribute to the division between whites and blacks in the Church. Last summer as an intern, I lead the bible study teaching for the younger girls (6-8) along with a small group. This summer I am not a leader and I am assisting another intern with a small group. There is a reason for that. My walk with the Lord has been works based rather than relying on God's grace and believing that through his blood I am righteous in his eyesight. I have been trying to prove to God that I am worthy through my Christian duties and Pharisee lifestyle that I missed out on true intimacy with my King. I am broken because I can no longer depend on my own efforts to make me righteous but I must rest in God's grace. It is by grace that I have been saved and works will not get me into heaven. The Lord is also forcing me to deal with past abuse that I have not dealt with. When you think you are over something, God has a funny way of bringing things back up!!!!! I am learning about the purpose of suffering and trials along with God's heart for the poor, oppressed, and widow. I am hurting because I am seeing so much sin, but I trust him so much more then I have in the past. The Lord has me where he wants me and I am fine with that. Sometimes I wish he would stop crushing me, however; I want the Lord to do whatever he must do to bless someone through me.

No comments:

Post a Comment